View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Play a hand against me and maximize your value

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most obvious answer here: it depends!

My default thinking when I see a line of b/r/c (flop) and then b/r turn is that I've run into a monster hand. This is particularly true when I play a 2+2er or the like who is familiar with such "value maximization" lines. Thus, unless I have a reason to think you would be attempting a fsdr (ie unless you have a history or being tricky as such) I'm not going to be calling you down lightly. In fact if the turn is a complete blank, I can pretty safely put you on a set and muck a hand like KQ/AQ.

Thus, if you havent been doing a lot of light raising on the turn, taking the b/r/c, b/r line is not as effective as a simple flop cap. When a thinking opponent caps the flop, particularly on a board that has a fair number of draws, it is unlikely that I'm going to slow down until I get raised on a turn blank. This is particularly true in 6 max where light flop aggression is common even from solid players.

Now lets analyze the turn play...say you cap the flop. Should you raise any turn card? Again I think it depends on what the turn is. If the turn is a total blank rag, I think you might be better off waiting until the river. As a fellow 2+2er, you should aware that I love to value bet. As the saying goes, a b/f is usually better than a c/c. Thus, if the turn blanks, I'm going to be betting almost any river. Dont give me the opportunity to shut down or make a good fold until the last card, where I will probably have to pay off your confusing line.

On the other hand, if the turn card completes some sort of possible draw, you are probably better off raising then, for 2 reasons:

1) If I hold a high heart, i'll certainly have to call the turn raise, and then I probably have to call the river even UI.
2) I can easily see a possible fsdr with a hand that I can beat that contain a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I would probably call down unless a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits and I dont have one.

Thus, I really think you should consider taking a flop cap, turn call, river raise line in a lot of instances. Again, however, it depends on what card comes out on 4th street, and what you think my perception of your play is. The flop call, turn raise line also can work at the right times, like I said. Mix it up.