View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: What do you think about Middle Eastern relations?

Unfortunately, I cant open the link you provided, so sorry if i dont address the points the article made.

The lands administration is a hot topic at the moment and there may well be changes soon. However, it was originally founded (pre state) to administer land that was legally purchased by Jews for Jews. Im not sure what the quote means by "denied access" - any Israeli has access to any public land. It is an extremely complex matter and, again, I totally reject your use of the word "apartheid". The courts constantly uphold the rights of Israeli Arabs and do so regarding the land issue as well:

see this article

There are no separate classes of citizenship enshrined in law. The lands issue is a distinct issue - but not an issue regarding the legal status of Arabs in Israel, rather an issue of how the ILA/JNF administer private/state lands.

I would be interested in hearing more re the "endless examples, both in formal law, and in daily practice".

Its my opinion that the misuse of language - in this case the word "apartheid" - seriously hinders a reasonable discussion of real issues and problems that do need addressing. It helps neither Israelis or Arabs (or Israeli Arabs) to mislabel the situation and reveals an individuals' lack of objectivity.

As someone who supports the principle of an independent Palestinian state alongside the State of Israel, it saddens me that real issues are obfuscated by such language. Again, its just my opinion, but anyone who genuinely wishes to see a resolution to the conflict (which will benefit the average Palestinian much more than the average Israeli) should avoid such deliberate or accidental propaganda that attempts to deligitimise one side unfairly.