Thread: college essay
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: college essay

Go for something unusual. My grades were ok, my SAT's were great, my extracurriculars were good, but my essay sucked a**, which resulted in me not getting into a college of my choice. My essay was a very generic stupid essay which pretty said,"I try my best. I'm a good student. I do this and that." It was pretty boring and didn't really say anything about me.

My friend, on the other hand, wrote an essay about how he asked this one girl out and how this illustrated his resourcefulness etc. etc. and now this guy's in stanford.

Going over some of my friend's essays, I get the impression that you should write an essay that's different from everyone else's. Talk about something you really care about, an unusual experience. You can't write out your whole life or who you are in 500 words and even if you did it'll end up just being a list of I did this and this, which they'll see anyway on your application. So I would like focus more on a certain aspect or an interesting experience, one thing that makes you different. Remember these guys read just about a million essays so try to stand out.