Thread: My Generation
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: My Generation

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I'm amused by how this generation loves their cell phone. As soon as they leave work to go to lunch they are on that cell phone. As soon as they leave work at exactly 5:00 (because they aren't staying late let me assure you) they are on their cell phone. Well who are you guys calling every day? I'm just really curious to know. It would drive my guy crazy if I called him every day like that. "Hi. Just calling to tell you that I'm leaving now." "Hi. Just calling to say that I'm turning onto Walnut St. now." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yeah.

I think the rise of reality t.v., blogging, and the flood of entertainment programming, with its constant emphasis on celebrity culture, has given people a sort of weird way of looking at their lives as if they were stories, and interesting in and of themselves automatically. It's a strange combination of a meta-angle overlooking one's life with what should properly stand out in stark contrast to that kind of distance, an unapologetic utter triviality and a kind of spooky egocentrism.