Thread: My Generation
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: My Generation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For me, the discussions about various crap in NVG highlight the current twenty-something mindset, which craves something quick, digestable, and easily forgotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like the point of this comment is one that older generations always have an always will make about younger ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's true. Back when people were facing youth that was different in some ways before the internet became huge and t.v. took over what passed for an intellectual life, people were still reading books and there were still things like clubs and bowling leagues and sports lots of adults played, like tennis and golf. Being different didn't so much used to mean being disconnected. It just meant you were connected to something else. People who liked swing and jazz and the Hippies and the me generation and the Reaganites still read books, often a lot of the same ones. And they got out of the house, and exposed to other people, in droves. Many of them very much wanted to learn about the world -- it seemed compelling, even vital, and extremely human.

There is a sense of self-containment, self-satisfaction, and lack of curiosity even in the very young with where they are at and where they are going that seems different this time out.