Dave Kreig 81.50
Randall Cunningham 81.47
Boomer Esiason 81.06
Warren Moon 80.90

or if you prefer a more modern example:

Daunte Culpepper 90.75
Chad Pennington 89.32
Tom Brady 88.36

There is simply no way get around the fact that passer rating doesn't come close to getting a full view of QB impact. No matter how many times someone like Kurt Warner holds the ball way too long, gets sacked and fumbles, it will never tarnish his passer rating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, overall, just disputing the use of Unitas/Blake.

Edit: Chad Pennington was one of the best QBs in the league before his arm got shredded to bits, and the same with Daunte before he only had one leg. Brady never really flourished for a couple years. Obviously now Brady is far better than those guys, but I think you'll find that both Culpepper and Pennington had years where they were far better than Brady.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pennington is still putting up big passer ratings. He is sitting at 121 right now. You don't need the big arm to do it.

Culpepper gets credit for his arm, but passer rating doesn't care at all that he is one of the the most prolific fumblers in NFL history. Kreig also gets a pass in this area.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also doesn't give Culpepper credit for 2500 rushing yards and 30 rushing TDs over his career, which ameliorates some of the hurt of those fumbles (of which only 34 have been lost over his career, so 30 rushing TD's and 34 lost fumbles, not exactly a wash but I doubt there are any QBs that have more rushing TDs than fumbles).

FWIW if you add in his rushing TDs and add in his fumbles as INTs and plug it into the QBR forumla you get 89.2 Not that this isn't obviously flawed but just to give some idea.