View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Micro / Medium Stakes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stop playing AT and PPs lower than 88 from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with that, raise every PP from any position. Hitting sets will make up a huge potion of your winnings, and why would you be raising 88 in early pos if not for set value? What's the difference between 88 and a lower pp? Are you seriously planning on playing 88 as an overpair? That would be pretty crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to stress that the suggestions I posted are for someone just starting out at NL2/NL10 who is used to playing higher stakes. Once one gets experience at these levels, more hands become playable.

With respect to this particular issue, I started out playing much like you suggest. I would play just about any PP from any position as long as it was relatively cheap. The problem comes when you limp or raise in EP with a crappy pair and get two callers. Worse, someone re-raises and gets one caller before it gets to you. What do you do with your 55 then? You're out of position and the stacks at these levels (usually averaging around 1/2 the max buy-in) make it unprofitable to be forced into always playing for a set.

Once you get to 88, you begin to have the ability to sometimes play them as an overpair. That's not to say that 88 will be an overpair often, but it starts to get into the realm of profitability.

This is a prime example of where position means a lot. From LP, I'll play any PP for a raise or limp when I'm able. But from EP, you need to have a higher expectation. Perhaps you disagree and feel you can play any PP from EP and make it profitable. I found this to be a leak in my game, as I was frequently raised or re-raised (often by a short stack) and had to fold. Some might even say you need at least TT from EP to play, and on some tables I would agree. But on the whole, I think 88 is a good rule of thumb until the table tells you otherwise.