View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: AC question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I knew TheLebowski was uninsured and he did not have the means to hire private detectives. I would be free to commit any crime i wished against him or his wife without fear of a meaningful investigation. Or did I miss something?

P.S. Please note that none of the above is a concern under a state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everyone knows how hard the cops work on solving hobo and prostitute murders.

[/ QUOTE ]

So only hobos and hookers lack insurance? Don't try to marginalize what could be a very serious problem. Think about how many people are without health insurance. If you only had enough money for one, what would you choose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? Contingency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor person kills poor person, where will the money come from if they get a conviction?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll agree, using a lot of man hours and lab time to catch such killers is an inefficient use of resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Inefficient by what subjective standards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Money to be made from a conviction will be less then the money spent to gain a conviction. That's as subjective as a business can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait.

So under the status quo, there's "money to be made" from convictions if someone kills a rich man? Who's making money here? The state?

I don't see how, by this argument, tracking down killers of hobos is any more "inefficient" than tracking down someone who kills bill gates.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean it should be stopped altogether, or is there more to this world than efficient market solutions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried about efficiency. It doesn't rule my thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but it rules the markets. If you want to put markets in charge then you better start worrying.

[/ QUOTE ]

States aren't magically exempt from the laws of economics. If a state can "take a loss" with an "inefficient" investigation then free men can surely choose to do the same. Somebody obviously thinks it's worth the expense now. Why would they stop thinking that later?