Thread: My Generation
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Re: My Generation

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I hate, hate, hate Internet shorthand and humor: Pwned, Rick-rolling, QFT, stupid YouTube virals, like that idiot college comic team Smosh, etc... But kids today love that crap. But get 'em to try to sit down and watch a WC Fields movie and they'd probably think it's stupid and old. It's bothersome they have no interest in anything beyond their self-contained world, which usually revolves around the Internet and terrible music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the first part of this quote but not the second part. I hate the internet shorthand and humor too. I'm not entirely sure we can blame it all on the 20-something generation. There are as many dumb internet and shorthand comments by people in their 30s and 40s. When I see stuff like "level" "pwned" "i'unno" it makes me cringe.

I think this generation really appreciates old movies and the classics. I'm always surprised to learn that they know a lot of the old films and TV shows. My 23 yr old friend just answered a Frasier trivia question at work the other day. I was floored that he would know Frasier at all.

What I like: the 20-something generation is super smart. I love how smart and relaxed and fun they are. I work with a bunch of 20-somethings and they are bright and clever and super sweet. I think they are the most polite and friendly group of people I've ever met. Yay 20-somethings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What I don't like: Myspace crap and emo guys. This whole "hot or not" internet thing. Jesus. I love your generation but why on god's earth do you guys need to hear how hot you all look? If that doesn't make you look super shallow I don't know what does! ("hey, here's my picture. Do you think I'm hot? How about if I wear my hair all gelled and standing vertical? How about if I do this with my arms and shoulders? Am I hot now?" Gawd. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) Also, it kills me when my 20-something friends want to show me myspace pages of their h.s. friends. Your generation really loves picture scrapbook stuff.

Also, I'm amused by how this generation loves their cell phone. As soon as they leave work to go to lunch they are on that cell phone. As soon as they leave work at exactly 5:00 (because they aren't staying late let me assure you) they are on their cell phone. Well who are you guys calling every day? I'm just really curious to know. It would drive my guy crazy if I called him every day like that. "Hi. Just calling to tell you that I'm leaving now." "Hi. Just calling to say that I'm turning onto Walnut St. now." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]