View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Micro / Medium Stakes

That's the way it goes. You win some and lose some. Nothing can really be done about it. I have been stuck at a break even point now for a couple days. Nothing I do works. I go all in with kings, a guy has aces. I make 3 kings on the flop, try to slow play it, and a 7 hits on turn. Guy bets, I go all in, and he calls with kings full of 7's. My slow-play backfired and I allowed him to hit his 7. That's why I feel it is never correct to slow-play, you lose too often (my own personal opinion).

Everyone says play tight at micro levels, but I think that you leave a lot of money out there when you do. Every time I see a super stack at a micro table, the guy is at least 35-40% VPIP (sometimes 50-75%). If you play tight, people notice and will never give your premium hands action. I can sit there for hours either folding my hands or raising premium hands pre-flop only to get no callers. Basically I make no money due to this, which is one reason why I am stuck. My bankroll has been within a $10 range for the last two days -- up and down. I haven't really lost anything, but haven't made anything either.

Sorry for the digression, back to your point..

I also play .02/.05 and .05/.1. I have been getting crushed at .02/.05 but am consistently beating NL10 (about 10ptBB/100). NL .02/.05 is killing me for some reason. I suppose it's just the way of the game - randomness, bad luck, variance, whatever. Anyway, just know you are not alone in dealing with this "paradox" of winning one level and losing at a lower level. The more I play the more I think poker cannot be taught, but is an innate skill. Most of us will never be that good no matter how smart we are, how much we study, get coached, etc..