View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

Hey Matt and Sunny I see you guys have been getting a lot of unpositive reviews here lately. Late me change the tune for this thread and tell you guys how much I enjoyed the book. I'll agree that the first 100 pages or so was more like a refresher for me as was REM, but the commitment threshold and SPR has been stuff that has helped me out a lot lately. It sure has changed the way I play some of my hands.

For instance when UTG in the past with AK or AQ I would either start out raising outright, or just call a raise. Both which gave me pretty bad SPR's against multiple opponents. I find myself limp reraising way more often with these hands which confuses people because a lot of them expect a monster, which either leads to me getting reraised back to where I can easily fold preflop, or I can hit top pair and feel good getting all in, or bluff somebody on the flop.

From NLHETP and always adopted the concept that certain hands have certain values and certain preflop raising sizes, SPR helped explain why. It's also got me giving up big hands a little more frequently when the stacks are so huge and I can't get a low SPR. Probably saving me some money every now and then.

At the same time the commitment threshold has helped me avoid some costly costly mistakes by not overbluffing, or over calling with a lot of pots.

I do have 1 question about the upcoming volume for you guys if you can answer. It seemed to me that the first volume was all about setting up preflop play to make postflop play easier when you hit your desired hand. Will the second volume be more about the postflop play of poker? I thought I read a while back that you guys were going to talk about certain post flop moves that were known moves among pros but not known among amatuers.

I cant remember what pg it was in the book, but I really enjoyed the exaple of using SPR with 76 to bluff JJ after you call the flop and an Ace appears making the person reluctantly fold their jacks. Seems like playing my opponents hand postflop instead of playing my own is a weakness I have right now. I usually hit and call or raise with hands like that, or miss and fold. Of course I learned this strategy from Super System. Hoping you guys really get into the postflop subject in the next book.

Great job on the 1st volume, and looking forward to what you guys konw that I don't in the 2nd volume.