View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: A question for those who love sitting next to fatties on planes...

bl,

"I do this too, but it's all about discourteous behavior by people. I would love to sit with my girlfriend on a long flight, but if there are other tall people and no more exit rows, she'll move and sit elsewhere. People only account for themselves and not others."

That's really nice of you and your gf, but I think that's taking things way beyond the level of common courtesy.

"Think about it from the perspective of we paid the same amount for this ticket, yet, I'm drastically more uncomfortable then you by no fault of my own."

That's sorta silly. A big guy is going to be a lot more hungry after eating the same meal as a petite woman. They are paying the same amount, yet the big guy has a far less satisfying dining experience. Should he get more food to make things equal? In the case of the plane trip, both people are paying a certain amount for a certain amount of space on a plane. Oftentimes there are options to plan ahead or pay extra that allow for additional space. Everyone is getting what they pay for. Being tall on a plane is suckier than being short. In other situations, being short is suckier than being tall. Should all tall people at concerts have to stand at the back to provide a better viewing experience for short people?

If the person behind me is really cramped, I generally won't recline at all. But if the person in front of me reclines and their seatback is now right up in my face, I will sometimes need to recline as well to be comfortable. If the tall guy wants to go ask the guy in front of me not to recline, he's welcome to do so.