View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

See, this is what I would say the majority of people do, but it seems unbalanced to me. My friend ends up making $25, and I save $8. In terms of relative difference, the friend would have normally made $8 (so he's +$17), and getting a WAY better deal than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

your friend is assuming the risk of getting fired by giving away drinks to you. you are assuming the risk of consuming too many free drinks. i think you're getting the better end of the deal here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never worked in a bar, but is it really assuming much of a risk? I see free drinks given out all the time and have never heard of a bartender getting fired because of it. I just figured it was standard practice to allow it to go on, as long as it was minor.

A free drink to a patron every once in a while can cause that patron to become a regular. I see it as a win for the bar so I just figured most owners see it that way also.

I know if I owned a bar, I wouldn't mind if it went on, just as long as it was within limits and I'd probably ask the bartender to keep a tally of free drinks so the bottom line isn't all jacked up at the end of the month.