View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Playing A2-A9 Suited -- especially early position

Ed's book puts this hand in the "Bread and Butter" section of pre-flop hands. However, I'm not finding that calling or raising in early position with them is all that profitable. I'm still learning the game, so help me here...

The flush draw comes about 1 in 8 hands, and when an ace hits the board and I don't have a kicker to speak of it's -EV to continue with the hand when there are players betting on the flop. If I just call pre flop and get a raiser, I find that it plays like a pair of 2's...or worse, since the flush draw is so obvious and even low limit players see the flushes so clearly and fold to my aggression (they are pretty looking).

I find that bluffing I have a flush or a flush draw is better to make money than actually having one! People freak about the flushes at low limits it seems.

I enjoy playing KQs, JQs, and TQs because of the combo draws they offer more than Ax suited.

I know this is an extremely broad post, but I was wondering if any of you had any comments on this or any advice for playing A2-A9s.

Thanks all...you guys rock and have helped me a ton already!