View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Any good books on playing small ball?

I certainly don't claim to be a small-ball expert, but it seems to me that at opposite ends of the strategy spectrum are small ball and kill phil (big ball).

PNL has extensive coverage of what constitutes small vs big pots based on pot size and stack size (Stack to Pot Ratio or SPR). It may not discuss small ball or big ball specifically, but it does provide a foundation for playing either style, depending on which might be appropriate at the time.

My understanding at a high level (in light of SPR) is that Small Ball is playing or stealing lots of small pots where you haven't crossed the commitment threshold, then building a whopper pot when you have the goods. Also that Kill Phil/big ball is crossing the commitment threshold when your opponent would rather play small pots and not cross the threshold.

Either style has advantages and has it's right time and position, but IMHO, at the core is an understanding of and application of SPR.

I'd welcome other's opinions who have a better understanding of small-ball/big-ball and who have also read PNL. I'm still a student of the topics, but I feel like I understand small ball better after having read PNL.