View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Who is a better hitter? (Poll)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, because he singled and is a baserunning threat, some could argue that the next hitter might see better pitches to hit so his HR became more likely because of an Ichiro single.

[/ QUOTE ]
All your other points have been addressed, so I'll just tackle this one. Some could say that, but the complete opposite is true. It's more beneficial to have a more patient hitter behind. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing it.....

I'm sure it's always beneficial to have a patient hitter at the plate, regardless of the situation, but that's not my question.

My question is whether or not a batter will see better pitches with Ichiro on base, rather than Dunn.

And, has any research been done on whether or not a fast baserunner can interrupt a pitcher's rhythm and make him a less effective pitcher? Is it possible to measure this?

I'm not taking a side, I'm just asking these questions because I don't know a lot on this subject.

Another question, somewhat related. When they say a guy has a hitter's count (3-1, 2-0) a hitter should have a higher batting average than when the count is 1-2, 0-2, etc..... How much of this difference is attributed to the fact that a 3-1 count means he is more likely to walk and less likely to K and how much is it attributed to the fact that he can expect a more predictable range of pitches (i.e fastballs in the strike zone) which increases his chances of making solid contact?