View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: The True Price of a Hybrid

[ QUOTE ]
When the full picture is examined, hybrids do not look quite as good as the environmental lobbyists would have us believe. According to the “Dust-to-Dust Automotive Energy Report” by CNW Research (link), the average energy cost per mile for the top ten hybrids (2006 models) is $3.65.The average for the industry is $2.95. (I happily report that my Chevy Monte Carlo is $1.61 and my wife’s Saab 9-3 is at $1.64 per mile.) The Prius, Civic, Accord, and Escape hybrids are $2.87, $3.40, $3.42, and $3.54, respectively.
<font color="white"> . </font>
To efficiently use resources, we want the best combination of leastcost technology. Suppose a family is growing and badly needs a bigger vehicle. Surely a hybrid would be better than a minivan or SUV, right? Don’t run out to the hybrid dealer just yet. The average energy cost for upper-midrange SUVs like the Hummer H3, the Saab 9-7X, and the Range Rover Sport is $2.43 per mile, well below the hybrids, and the average for minivans is even better: $2.23 per mile. If we want to be good to the environment, we need to use resources wisely. The price system shows us how to act so we don’t waste resources.When people naturally minimize costs, they are conserving resources. No governmental interference is necessary.
Some of my students point out that a tax credit helps offset the price differential of a hybrid, thus lowering the cost to the owner. While true, the credit doesn’t negate the evasion of the economic-allocation problem. It merely masks it. Just because the consumer does not bear the burden of bidding resources away from more profitable uses doesn’t mean those resources aren’t being misdirected.
Environmental economics is a fascinating field. It attempts to assure that people confront the full costs of their decisions about what to produce and what to buy. Better than any government bureau, the price system communicates which methods of production are least costly. If we want to be environmentally friendly, all we need do is follow the market and compare total costs. The market abhors waste.

[/ QUOTE ]