View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: This forum needs a makeover

I always appreciate the feedback, but personally I think you're significantly overstating things.

Most forums here on 2p2 are much higher traffic with higher daily post counts, and they're not segmented anywhere near the level you're talking about. The segmentation you're talking about might make sense for a high-traffic sports betting only forum, or if we had 10x the traffic or 5x the posts. But right now, I really think you're overstating a lot. Most of the segmented poker boards get 3x - 5x the posts per day that we do and some get significantly more. The forums here are as segmented as they have to be. we're not anywhere near the traffic level where we'd need to segment the forum.

You may need to change your forum settings. With the forum set at 30 parent posts per page and 99 posts per page in flat mode, this forum gets about one full page of active posts a day during its busiest season (now, during the NFL). many days, less than a full page. Things are a bit crazier during peak activities (superbowl, NCAA tourney) but in general there aren't that many posts here that its hard to keep up with.

We conducted a poll of the forum to vote on B00T's proposal of moving to individual threads per event and the majority was not in favor of that move. I can't imagine we'd get forum consensus to move to individual forums per sport when we don't have people wanting to change to a thread per sport.

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of intelligent posters around here who would contribute much more sports betting insight if the organization were better, but for the most part you click the link see the first page is full of clutter and just move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I especially don't buy this. There aren't hordes of people waiting in the wings to make interesting and insightful posts but who aren't based on the forum software or setup. Good information floats its way to the top of any board here, and boards here with significantly more traffic don't have this problem.

[ QUOTE ]
And moderate the threads so Johnny Punchclock isn't posting BEARS RULE!!! everywhere. That way people will learn just because they read a thread they don't have to post unless they add an idea or value to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Threads are moderated today. People aren't currently posting "BEARS RULE!!!" everywhere and I'd challenge you to point to a glut of these types of "Sporting Events" flavored posts (obviously outside the Chatter thread where anything goes).

This board is moderated from a philosophical perspective in that it's most heavily policed by the userbase. There is a "notify moderator" button on every post on this site. If you -- or anyone else -- finds a post that they think needs to be moderated in any way, you need to click on that button and file a report. The community sets the standards for what types of posts are allowed and which are not. The moderator notifications are the major tool for the community to police itself. And I especially pay close attention to moderator notifications which come from established, respected posters. People like Homer or Lori or Dank or MT2R or Bob or (whoever I'm leaving out) don't have to be a moderator to mod the board -- someone like that hits "notify mod" and I see the name and take immediate action almost always.

===

But as always with all that said, I'm very interested to see what everyone else thinks. I'm always interested in discussing ways to make this place better, and regardless with the fact that I disagree with your opinion, I greatly appreciate that you've made an effort to bring it up and hope you'll continue to participate in the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-P