View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Tricky 99 hand against LAG

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a vacuum, I do not like betting the river here - it really does suck to have to play 99 like this though. But I would make a note on the line taken here to help me on future spots like this. In hindsight I think it was a bluff-raise on the flop - you are folding a hand like king high without a club here every time. Maybe you can 3-bet the flop.

EDIT: Final sentence!

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting flop sucks. You'll get capped often and if you bet turn UI you get c/r often so you must take a freecard, and that way you loose value when he bets air on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The opponent might fold to the reraise on the flop (or has this never ever happened to you in this type of situation?) and if you get check-raised on the turn you can fold. If you get capped on the flop, then a read helps. If we look at the line chosen in hindsight - the villain saw the river for free by simply check-raising us on a scary board. If the opponent had something that has no connection with the flop but can still beat us (smaller pair, overcards to our pair but no club), the check-raise worked brilliantly.