View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: NL - unimproved middling overpairs (best line in theory)

Against a relative unknown I share Mook's views on Check-calling. Villain is far too likely to put pressure on the turn to force a fold.

My problem with leading out is the fact this is lower limit poker. At high stakes a lead out gets more respect here, especially if you balance your strategy of leading out with hands that you'll fold to a raise (i.e the one) with hands you'll not (i.e set, top-two, etc). Even if you did balance your lead out game like this at these levels its not likely to be noticed. This means your pair will quite often be floated by the likes of AK/AQ or possibly semi-bluff raised.

I personally lean towards C/R. As I said above you get some extra value when you are ahead and crucially will nearly always get AK/AQ type hands to fold. The price is you give some extra value to villain when you are behind but then you might (rarely) make him lay down a hand better than yours (such as when you have 77 and he has 88-99 on a 2,4,6 board). My instincts tell me the ends justify the means here but I don't have the maths head to calculate exactly the expectation of such a play. I think it's important to realize you can C/R a light lighter then usual. For example if you usually raise 4x villains bet then 3x will have the same effect on this sort of board.