View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Re: The True Price of a Hybrid

Im not aware that it does have a larger carbon footprint - i can only assume this is because of the carbon cost of developing the technology? Do you have a link for that?

If it does have a larger carbon effect, and ignoring the other crap that cars pump out their exhausts, then ill happilly concede the Prius is marketed really well and my knowledge is lacking.

For the record most hybrids can be outdone for MPG and other environmental figures by small engine light cars and modern efficient turbo diesel engines and ive said for a long time their green friendly credentials are lacking - especially since the quoted figures are often gross overestimates based on selective testing environments.

I dont own a hybrid, never have, but like i said it isnt about cost and it seems it is about incorrect perception they are greener - although im sure a lot of it is a fashion statement/publicity and perception as being pro environment.

Either way, im sure they are miles better than SUVs across the board.

Which reminds me of a cribs episode where some minor celeb showed us round his house, then showed us the two SUVs, a Merc of some kind a Prius he said he rarely drove.