View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: It\'s time for the R Word...

Thanks all for the additional feedback. This is still an idea forming, so it's nice to get all the perspective. And yes, I know this is totally illegal. That doesn't concern me so much. Security down the road as I grow, that concerns me.

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's a "sharing the expenses" discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]
At first, yes, which is why I have no worries at all about this phase of it. I'm just thinking down the road. Basically, I want a clubhouse. Not a formal business, just a building that a bunch of us have to enjoy. Some nights there's poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone (INCLUDING you) should pay the same amount.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. My plan is a coffee can kind of thing, sealed with a slot. I drop my chips in it with everybody else. I just, y'know, pocket them at the end of the night. At least at my current setup. Once I move it, I'd want to keep it self-sustaining, so funds would be kept separate, and expenses taken out of them directly, rather than just absorbed from my overall income.

[ QUOTE ]
"need it to do" needs more clearly defined. You might want to re-examine whether "want" means "need"

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. Want to do, then. I have a dream, damnit. It just so happens that all of my predilections point to me working adjacent to the law.

[ QUOTE ]
Will the neighbors in the location's area have problems? What about security?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my primary concern, but that's down the road, so I'm not worrying yet.

[ QUOTE ]
We had a similar thread about half a year ago, I think, where many argued against the willingness to pay for a palace that they don't get to keep as their own. How high is this nightly expense fee going to be, to cover all of that?

[/ QUOTE ]
People seem to really like my game, the balance of professional and casual, and the overal atmosphere I work to create. They mostly seem happy to do what they can to keep it going. And in fact some of my ideas will make it overall cheaper for the regulars.

It's probably back in the thread, but here's what it seems to be boiling down to: Same closed group (plus slow growth of friends of trusted regulars) for the weekly cash games and small tournament series.

Cash games: 5% off of your intial buyins up to $100, plus an extra $5 if you cash out $200 or more (regardless of what you bought in for). Simple, easy, just a voluntary but strongy encouraged donation to the tin can.

Weekly tourneys: 10% off the top. I plan to do mostly shootouts and heavily weighted first prize structures.

Monthly tourneys: This is where we open it up to friends of friends, other poker groups, 2+2ers, etc. $20 (up from $15 now) for what will probably be a $100-$200 total buyin (up from $60-$100) with rebuys and addons. These are the events with the catered food and full bar. And with various connections I have, this will be hopefully be twice my expenses, so this is what really fuels the big upgrades. If it comes to it, I could probably set up some sort of legal charge by the catering company, who then donates it back to the house. And the cool folks we like from these get invited to the weekly games.

But holy crap, absolutely no advertising other than word of mouth, and everyone is warned to keep it mum and only talk with trusted people. I have names and contact info for everybody (once we move, kept offsite). Granted, it can't be contained forever, but I don't think at this level we're in much danger from the law. Security, on the other hand, will have to be addressed eventually.