View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: \"Service\" franchises

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From the tone of your post, I speculate [which is never a smart thing to do] that you haven't been involved in running a business or be part of a management team before. This is not a direct attack at you but I just want to point out that people, especially winning poker players, underestimate how much work is involved in running a business. And running it well.

Also, "I could play poker online while downtimes at work" speaks volume of how much thought you have put into this. Ok, perhaps you have thought about this a lot but I don't think you're thinking the situation correctly and is overly optimistic with your future forecast.

Also, I think you're currently in a bad downswing. Don't worry, I am too [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] But the sun will shine again. Hang in there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I realize all this. I hope you also realize I'm not going to begin this franchise next month. This is all research and when something intrigues me, I try to get more information on it.

This is all really 12+ months down the road, if I were to pursue it, before any of it really became a reality. I know there's some great advice on here and some very smart people so that's why I'm asking with a very limited amount of knowledge about the subject.

Perhaps the "play online" while at work makes it seem like I think I can [censored] around and put in 40k hand months while at work. That's not what I really meant.. I more mean that I feel it would be convienent to be in an actual office (as opposed to something clustered like a Subway,) so after work or during the slow season (there is a slow season in the tax world, isn't there?) I could put in hands.

I just want to reiterate, that yes, I know life and real business is not a cakewalk. When the time comes outside of poker, I will put 100% into anything that I do because I know that is my best chance to succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]
"After work or during the slow season" have a different meaning to me than "while down time at work." To me, the phrase "while down time at work" means business is slow, there's no customer, I'm going to grind a few hands and sit out whenever a customer comes in. It is obviously fine if you do it outside of the schedule work hours.

Anyway, I apologize if I sound harsh; I was hoping it sounds more like "constructive criticism."