Thread: AC question
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: AC question

[ QUOTE ]
I see democracy as simply the best current solution to uphold equalitarian principles. I am fairly certain that at some point in time, as philosoph yand technology progresses you are going to see major changes to the democratic model, perhaps even at one point the removal of government (I'm not an anarchist mind you, just making a hypothetical).

My goal is that these advances be reached and further mankind down the road to 'something else'. Capitalism is a sound principle, but personally I feel that using it as the sole foundation for a society will effectively block this advance.

I realize that capitalism often leads to more effective and in some cases better solutions, it also can lead to peace and communication better than diplomacy ever can. But yes, I feel capitalism will often make it hard to see a larger picture. I also feel that the chance of the system going corrupt is high, and that such a process would be worse in an AC setting than a statist setting, where people have access to non-profit solutions to such problems (not claiming its perfect, but atleast you have a fighting chance).

[/ QUOTE ]

1) In a voluntary society, nobody would stop you from voluntarily joining some sort of collective democratic group that would provide whatever you and your fellow democrats want. Safety nets, collective defense, dispute arbitration, telephone service, whatever. Have fun!

Now, explain why anyone should be compelled to participate in your scheme just because YOU think it's the "best current solution". In a voluntary society, nobody seeks to deny you choices, but you're anxious to deny others anything except what you like. Why is that?

2) a voluntary society in no way excludes "non-profit" activities. It does not require that everyone constantly maximize their productivity. It does not outlaw leisure or charity. This is a ridiculous position.

[ QUOTE ]
In my view there are also actually times when the best path is not actually the most profitable one, effective one or the most popular one in the market. I fear people seeing such solutions will have a harder time getting heard in a pure capitalist society than a statist society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time, there is not one best path. But statism is nothing more than the selection of one particular path, and the violent suppression of alternatives. You're letting the "capitalism" part of it cloud your view. Democratic statism is EXACTLY the type of system that takes "the most popular" path and IMPOSES it upon EVERYONE. So I'm not really sure what your objection is here.

[ QUOTE ]
And that's really it. I don't think the idea sounds horrible, or that ideas proposed would not work at all etc. For me, it is a step in the wrong direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet, it is a step in NO direction at all. It is the freedom for you to go in whichever direction YOU think is best for YOU.

As bkholdem said:

"We are simply talking about leaving people alone to be free in simply living their lives and by reading some of these threads it seems as if almost the whole world would be up in arms to stop that."