View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Toughest school to get into debate (Cal Tech vs. Harvard)

How big is CalTech?

I don't know a lot about CalTech first hand, and obviously given the genre of the school it probably the closest MIT in terms of being able to compare, but I've heard the personalities of the two schools are quite different, which can affect who applies to them.

Also, as a girl, part of the reason I didn't apply to CalTech was because I had heard it is mostly guys. It is interesting to think that if we generalize my thought processes to other females that this may continue the cycle.

And then, and again I don't know much about CalTech (I was really lame about college research), but where is CalTech in the softer sciences such as bio? i.e. would it be a place that premeds would gravitate towards. I also have a feeling that the presence of Sloan changes our demography in a significant way.

I was tempted to maybe look into transferring simply because, hello, california.

Frankly, I think the person who said Julliard hit it on the head as far as one of the hardest schools to get into. Frankly any conservatory program is going to be mad hardcore. Honestly, I think as SBR pointed out, as far as any of the brand name schools go it IS close as to how "hard" it is to get in, and the judgements end up being very fine and subjective in admissions, which is why someone can be accepted at some of the schools and rejected by others for no apparent rhyme or reason. Which is why I think if you think you're qualified for any you might as well go for them because, what have you got to lose?

And who knows, even if you are retarded you might get lucky. God knows there's enough evidence to support that on this campus. A lot of apps(or even, omg, life) is just finding a way to stand out.