View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: TheSalche\'s Get Back to High School Shape Journal

[ QUOTE ]
Mostly because I don't know correct form on it, where to start in weight, etc. I've taken a look at some of the websites describing proper form but I'm still not 100% sure about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you own Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe? If not, definitely get that.

Few important points:
-Keep lower back arched, not rounded.
-Your arms should be dead, no pulling with your arms. THey just attach the bar to your body.
-Keep the bar close to your shins, they might ride up your shins as well. That is ok.
-Keep a narrower stance than squats, for instance they should probably be just inside the knurling on the bar. Feet pretty much straight forward.
-Hands grip just outside your knees so they can clear the body.
-When you set up and are ready to pull, your head should be looking directly forward. Do not look up, and do not look down. Head looking forward helps you keep your back arched. Never ever turn your head during a deadlift, straight forward only.

I'm not sure of your strength levels, but you can just use the bar at first to see how it feels and practice the movement. Make sure it is elevated off the ground to a height of about the radius of a 45 lb plate. Anything lower and you might be forced to round your back to pick up the thing. Palms should both be facing your body, you won't need an alternate grip until you're lifting much higher weights. The bar should be about an inch or two away from your shins after you bend your knees and get set to pull.