View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Razz 8/16 - steal didn\'t work, how to proceed?

[ QUOTE ]
Does this change anything? Does it swing anyone to calling 3rd, 4th, or 6th who previously wanted to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess we've all played this guy in one incarnation or another. I think the question is: how much do you like to gamble? His shtick seems to be that no one can put him on a hand, so he gets paid off huge on his legit ones. My choice, which I'm not saying is the right one just my own, is to play him with premium hands only.

In this specific hand:

3rd Street - (1.31 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

I am folding 3rd. Everyone "steals." It's just part of Razz and I don't have a problerm getting "caught." I also fold a variety of marginal hands to a raise, including most 8s. This isn't just a 9, it's a terrible 9. But you decided to play it. I might have, also, in the heat of the moment. But if I did...

4th Street - (5.56 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

...I'm betting out here. I got a hell of a hand, buddy, you sure you want a piece of this?

5th Street - (3.78 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

This looks like the critical moment to me in terms of the psychology of the hand. It looks like you made a six. If this guy is so aggro why didn't he bet? I don't know, but I'd be betting right at him, I'd be insisting I made that 6 and daring him to call - if he did...

6th Street - (3.78 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___<font color="red">What to do???</font>
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
..screw 'em, reraise.

This is why I fold third a lot. I'm either folding or betting. But this is an issue of style. The way you played it, I think you need to fold here. But I might reraise him, anyway. Make it look like you were trapping with that "made" 6. Depends on how much gamble you like, I think.

In the end, even an ultralag can catch A23.