View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: I learned this from Death Donkey

[ QUOTE ]
What is the theory behind the river check?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing 6 max against aggros, I've noticed a trend. This is also something that seems to permeate 2+2.

Everyone loves to put opponents on draws. Especially if those opponents are seen as aggressive (I play a 30/20/2.2 style, so I'm quite aggressive).

Because of this, people love to "charge" those draws by betting and raising, even with hands that may not warrant it. This results in massive action on the flop and turn to make me "pay" for that flush draw/straight draw that I "obviously" have.

By the river, however, the draw either got there, or it didnt. There is no more "charging." Thus, the range of hands that a player will raise with becomes much narrower...in fact, many opponents wont raise the river without close to the nuts, regardless of how aggressive their stats make them appear. They will still bet if you show weakness, but will not often raise.

This river CR is simply a method of insuring that 2 bets go in on the river, when all too often in my experience, a river lead will result in only 1.

Results in white:

<font color="white"> Villain bet when I checked, and called the CR. He had A4s for two pair. </font>