View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Italy trip report (long, with pics)

[ QUOTE ]
This also opened the door to the magic of foreign grocery stores. For some reason, I always love to go into stores in different states and cities, just to see how it differs, and this was no exception. Especially entertaining was the meat section.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same desire (to visit different stores in different countries.) In particular, food stores are the most intriguing to visit to get a real flavor for culture differences. One of my favorites is the grocery store in Cozumel, called (phonetically) Sha' dwow wee. The store is probably 15-20,000 sq ft. Anyhow, here was a good example of how great it was. On the left side of the aisle you could get fresh fruit like pinneapple, mango, limes, etc. If you turned your head to the right, you could pick out a nice set of radials. Round the corner, behind the tires, and you could pick out a jar of milk, and look the other way and grab a case of Coronas to go with your limes. I mean, food, wheels and beer - it was a Mans store (oh and milk for the baby).

(sorry for the hijack - nice trip report)