View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re: General Theory - KK/QQ on Ace high flop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The question i guess, is should you ever continuation bet an Ace high flop with a big pair like KK or QQ when you have 3 bet your opponant preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live by the code of the continuation bet, then you should continuation bet here almost every time. Represent the ace (or better), and then give up if he either doesn't believe you, or doesn't care if you really do have the ace. Either way you're probably beaten.

On the other hand, I check a lot of flops when I raise or reraise OOP whether I hit the flop or not. So, if that kind of style is part of your game plan, then the dynamics change a bit. Villains are little less likely to steal if they think I'll call or c/r a good portion of the time. So Cb's are then my "mix up" play rather than my standard. But I often play with more than 100bb's, so even in 3-bet pots, the SPR is still often 7-11. As a result, I'm often more interested in pot-control and inducing bluffs, or later steet calls from worse hands, than I am about taking down what's in the pot already or protecting my hand.

With only 100bb's in a 3-bet pot, you end up with a very low SPR. You can conditionally commit with a cb, then either c/f the turn, push the turn, or CRAI on the turn depending on how good your hand is, the texture of the flop, and your read on your opponent. But c/f on the flop just seems to weak given how much of your stack you've already committed to the hand in a 3-bet pot. In fact, I would expect an occasional c/r "bluff" without the ace on boards like these might be better than c/f.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. Are you only checking flops if you're OOP , and if so I'm not completely sure why, other than it gives you the ability to throw in an occasional check/raise.