View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Interested in starting a keeper basketball league

3pt made is a worthless metric. They're already counted in points and don't measure anything of use beyond that. If you make a 3, you get 3 - and you're already getting credit for those 3. I think that lots of leagues use 3PM because they're lazy and it's easy to measure. They might as well use FTM.

3pt percentage measures a player's scoring efficiency, which is very, very valuable. Points per possession wins games. Points per game wins scoring titles.

The starting point for me is a positive relationship between a stat and an NBA team winning as a result of it. The 9 stats we have enjoy that relationship to the best of my knowledge, and the resulting league balance bears that out.

The league has a balance between "bulk" categories (PTS, REB, AST, STL, BKL) and "efficiency" categories (2P%, 3P%, FT%, TO), making a variety of team strategies viable. If you replace an efficiency stat with another bulk stat, you end up glorifiying chuckers (guys who hoist 6+ threes a game and hit ~30% of them, butchering their team in the process) and undervaluing assassins (guys who take 2-3 threes a game and hit 40% of them).