View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: LHE: -35bb in 45 hands vs aggressive villain

Hand 2 - bad flop peel

Hand 7 - I usually bet this flop; you should be happy to take the pot down here.

Hand 8 - well played

Hand 9 - river bet is bad, A high is never folding

Hand 10 - bet/fold turn; I have called down in this spot a lot (usually when I'm running bad and can't hit the board no matter what I'm dealt) and it's a big money loser for me

Hand 12 - check/raise flop; primary reason is to induce spew and hopefully be able to cap the flop when you crush his range

Hand 14 - bad flop peel; even if you improve on the turn to the best hand you're vulnerable to a big redraw

Hand 16 - well played

Hand 17 - ugly spot, I probably play it the same though turn call is thin and river call is probably wrong (but maybe not against this opp)

Hand 18 - well played

Hand 21 - flop peel is thin

Hand 24 - like how you played it, only questionable street imho is river (check/call, bet/call, bet/fold all plausible lines)

Hand 25 - very well played, great spot to induce

Hand 26 - well played postflop, I think preflop is questionable given this opponent's overaggression. I'd rather see the flop and reassess as KTo isn't that strong. (It's close, I would 3bet KTs as you did earlier.)

Hand 27 - well played, I don't think a bluff is a good idea, I think QJ would have shown down against one bet and only maybe would have folded if you fired turn and river. Just not worth it.

Hand 28 - well played

Hand 31 - I've done similar, but you should check river and fold if you get check/raised (but against this opp both decisions are much closer than normal)

Hand 34 - fold turn, the 2 was a bad card for you, you have only 4 outs a lot here; also against this guy i'd often check/call flop intending to check/fold turn UI (check/raising a 4, 5 or 6); you're not gonna beat this guy by trying to steal small pots, you're gonna get him by valuebetting when you do hit.

Hand 35 - fine, usually check/fold against him though, wait until you've folded a few times before stabbing, he's simply going to peel and make dumb bluffs and calldowns too often (plus you want to encourage him to limp in on the button and "steal" the pot on the flop -- as his stolen flop is worth much less to him than you're seeing the flop for free in the big blind is worth to you)

Hand 36 - I might raise the flop for value, but this is a nice spot for a calldown. It's going to be hard to value bet the later streets as overcards hit and when you're behind you only have 2 outs.

Hand 39 - good calldown

Hand 41 - don't 3-bet PF against this guy, he's taking Ax and Kx to showdown way too much that you end up spewing when you miss; call preflop and assess how well the flop hits your hand

Hand 45 - fold preflop, fold flop, turn semibluff is probably bad against this guy (I doubt he would have folded Ks Ts at any point in the hand) and river is desperation at that point.

Overall, I think you played better than him, but I don't think you adjusted well to him. You should have kept the pots smaller preflop a couple of times (KTo, QJo) and avoided spewing. The way you beat this guy is you just wait for hands and slaughter him with value bets. You let him steal the small pots and encourage him to make bad bets and calls when your range consists of 100% value bets and 0% bluffs.

There is absolutely no way you can beat this type of player when you run bad, and the key is just avoid spewing and play a nitty fit/fold strategy. It's actually quite easy technically (just estimate equity / count odds and play appropriately) but it can be rather difficult psychologically. This is the type of player who you can rip 25-50 BBs off very quickly when you run hot.

I think your biggest mistake was spewing a bit with some weak hands (though you avoided doing this very much until the last hand), because you basically never have the odds to try to steal a pot from a guy like this who is going to showdown K high+ most of the time. You should play mostly straightforwardly and if you are going to mix in some slight spews, do it with weak made hands (but don't do it too often). For example, if I have T6o in the BB and the flop comes Kh Ts 5c, I will check/raise and normally if I am 3-bet I will shut down. Sometimes against this type of opponent I will cap the flop and lead most turns. Sometimes I'll look foolish when K5 pwns me, but often I get value from 65 or A9 (lol) or 33 (lolololol). The hand not to spew with on this board is J9. I'll often just check/call the flop with it and fold the turn unimproved against this player, whereas I would check/raise the flop and lead turn against a lot of other players.