View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: I feel like a sucker

I don't really get the flop peel. It's a tiny pot and you've got some crappy backdoor draws and reverse implied odds. I'd much rather check/fold this most of the time and sometimes check/raise (like I would with Qx and 7x hands). This is a decent board to check/raise because there are no draws so "obviously" you have one pair here.

After the flop peel, I really don't get the bet/call turn line. Are we trying to get him to fold a better Ax hand? Trying to get him to fold a worse hand that probably has four outs? Are we trying to represent a hand, or just betting because we picked outs? I think check/calling this turn is the way to go absent a read that some other line is better. I think bet/calling and bet/3betting generally suck here.

After check/calling the turn, I'd play poker on the river if I don't improve. I'd tend to check/fold unless it's someone who frequently three barrels with air.

I really think spots like these are ones where a very small number of players squeeze some EV out of, but most players end up losing money on. And I know we all fancy ourselves among or soon to join that elite group of excellent players, but really if you like money, sometimes you should take the easier route and avoid putting in lots of bets with a crap hand.*

* Obviously, the tougher the games are, the more you have to be willing to play some tough spots to make your play not completely transparent to other good players. But the money in mid-stakes games comes from the fact that most players are not very tough and they don't adjust to your play very well.