View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Re: is drinking alcohol an acquired taste?

[ QUOTE ]

My parents gave me beer when i was a child. Trained.

As I pointed out, some beers are inomprehensably bad. Some beers are genuinely good, IMO.

I take it you do not drink at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with OP. I've grown up in a hosuehold where every kind of alcoholic beverage has been available to me since I was about 4 years old. My parents are borderline alcoholics. As a child I never liked any alcoholic drink, be it wine, beer, cider, lager. Even alcopops are just inferior versions of soft drinks. I first tried whisky when I was about 8, and I may as well have just tried to set fire to my mouth. But all these drinks have the same thing in common: they all taste, at least partially, of alcohol, which is absolutely disgusting. Why ruin a good juice or soft drink by putting alcohol in it, I've always thought.

100% of my friends and family drink alcohol. My theory is that they first drank it when they were around 14/15, when they have such a big desire to drink alcohol (because getting drunk is cool apparently) that they simply deny the horrible taste, and eventually come to get used to it. Whereas I have never drunk it in enough volumes to get used to it. I've basically had sips and spat it out every opportunity I've had.