View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Default The End of the Affair

After ending a 7 year relationship, I thought I'd like to make a thread about ending relationships w/ a break up, divorce, death, or whatever... you know, a nice cheerful topic.

So, post your thoughts on break ups, maybe how you deal with them, or whatever you think is pertinent.

Basically, there's tons of info on how to start a relationship. The media is flooded w/ the crap, and it's pretty easy to do anyway.

There's less info on how to keep a relationship going, but you can still find quite a bit on it.

I see the least amount of info about the end of relationships, so I thought this could be interesting, and, at any rate, it is something that's not much discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I tend to get into pretty intense relationships that last a while. This makes ending them hard, and not something I really want to do. I really have no way of dealing with it, which is why I was wondering if others did. I just sort of do nothing for a week or two and feel really bad, then I go about my business, and occasionally feel bitter.

For me, all my relationships have basically come to an end due to a lack of communication. I remember way back in high school I was talking to this girl I really liked, and we were talking about what the most important thing in life is... she said "communication." I said something asinine like "being happy." Anyway, damn, she was so right. W/ my last gf we were very good together in many ways, but we just could not understand what the [censored] the other one was talking about. It could be about something trivial like asking for help doing some daily task, or it could be about our emotions. We'd say things several different ways, and in the end one of us was always left scratching their head... well usually more like throwing their hands up in despair. Of course it's not that simple. 7 years never is, but if I were to pin it on one thing, that would be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The title of this thread is from one of my favorite Graham Greene books. Honestly it's been a while since I read it, but I do remember it's a nice depressing book... a good read after a break up. Another good read about relationships and their demise, that I just got done reading is, "Tender is the Night," by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The book plays on the the typical fear of getting old and decrepit and getting left by the way side by your mate because of it.... also it plays on the typical desire of wanting more conquests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway, not sure exactly where I think this thread will go, but judging from some of the posts I see on here, I'm sure some of you have thoughts on breaking up and associated crap.