View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Fantasy / Science Fiction book series

[ QUOTE ]

If you like your cyberpunk dark, have you read any Michael Marshall Smith? Much of his stuff is sort of a cross between horror and cyberpunk (his short story More Tomorrow, while not strictly cyberpunk, is one of the two stories I've ever read that have creeped me out). Spares is probably the most cyberpunky of his novels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read any of his work, took a quick peek at amazon and I think I will have to give him a try. Thank you for the suggestion.

[ QUOTE ]

Walter Jon Williams, Hardwired and Voice of the Whirlwind? His short story Video Star, from Facets, is about as dark as cyberpunk gets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Read Hardwired, pretty decent though not A material imo. As for Voice of the Whirlwind, this is really weird:

After reading Hardwired I was trying to get a copy of VOTW off of amazon. Apparently now they have a July 2007 reprinting, but I think it was out of print when I was looking. I have some very very vague memory of ordering it from a seller, getting the book (remember the cover), but I don't remember reading it.

Things like this do not normally happen to me, very strange. Not sure if I should pull on this thread, it may all come apart! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Anyway I will have to check it out.

[ QUOTE ]

Of the more recent crew, Richard Morgan seems the grimmest, though I think he's also the one who, umm, follows the archetypes most closely.

[/ QUOTE ]
Read all the Kovacs novels and enjoyed them. I briefly mentioned them upthread.

[ QUOTE ]

Got any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try to think of some and get back to you. I'm guessing you are far more well read in the subgenre then I am though (and probably sf in general).