View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Odds Question I\'ve never seen answered before

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like you have hit upon the concepts of implied odds and effective stacks through experience and trial/error....

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously later is always better. I'm very liberal with these calls without much regard for position. I will lay these down with a slider after me yet to act or other such crazies. However you are correct.

[ QUOTE ]
You should begin to experiment with concepts like reraising (3 betting) to isolate certain players preflop,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing this with big hands but never with SC, 1 gaps etc. when I've called a raiser and missed the flop. I might enter the pot with a raise with such hands but not reraise, it kills the implied odds to do so. The only case where I see this might be good is if the vilian folds easly to C bet after the flop, basic build and steal play. However, that's outside the framework of my original post. I'm talking about calling a raise from a legitimate good hand (praying he has AA or KK or QQ or AK) and getting him tangled up in a monster pot where he's behind. I'm not looking to build a huge pot preflop when I'm on this play. I want to make the hand here and then commit the other player AI 1 street at a time.

[ QUOTE ]
and semi bluffing/playing draws aggressively post flop. These skills will help you win smaller pots even when you dont hit flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a problem with this at one time. I'd call the raise and miss then too often I'd try to win the pot anyway. The only way to win is to bet right? That gets expensive. I can be pretty transparent and it does not take players long to learn to repop you and take the pot away. I'll make the play you describe several times in a 5-8 hour session however, I very rarely do this if I've called a pre flop raiser. I think this play is better after a limp or after I've been the first raiser preflop.

I think many of the players I'm beating lose sight of why they are playing a particular hand. The flop comes, they miss but they know they can't win by checking so they bet. This type of thinking is so easily defeated. A perfect table for me has 1 or 2 players like this, 1 or two 50 year plus rocks and balance 20 somethings.

[ QUOTE ]
...When stacks are very deep, your hand strength matters less and position matters more....

[/ QUOTE ]

Value of position relative to stack size as the stacks get very deep isn't something I've thought to much about. I'll consider this and apreciate your bringing this concept to my attention.