View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Preflop and Cbet sizing for NLTRN

I kind of neglect this area of my game, but I figure it is a pretty major aspect of our play styles.

Preflop - My raise is 3x BB. One definite plus of having the same raise every time is that your opponent can't get a read out of you. An issue I've had with this is that once the blinds hit 25/50, the 3x raise is dangerous for some of my hands.

My thinking is that the 3x raise is good at these stakes against a player who will fold to it, while a 2x raise would be better in general against the calling stations. My reasoning for this is that I can still build the pot while in position, but the pots are slightly smaller so variance isn't going to wipe me as easily. I'm not really losing much fold equity if they call everything anyways.

I figure some arguments against this are that I should be doing the 3x bet because it builds the pot BIGGER while I'm in position, but some hands I don't want to get in pots THAT big with. Another option is that I could use a mixture of 2x and 3x bets, and if they are continuously calling everything I may as well use the 3x bets (or bigger) for my hands that hold up well post flop.

Continuation Betting - I generally do 2/3 pot for this. It seems pretty standard. However, most of the top players I have watched seem to bet somewhere between 3/4 and 5/6 of the pot as their cbet. I haven't figured out if this is simply because it works better at higher stakes, or if there is some advantage to it at all stakes.

I've put some consideration into how it would affect metagame as a whole. I figure bigger cbets slightly reduces the amount of hands you are playing out and allows you to build pots easier when needed. The down side of course is that you are risking more chips. I've fooled around with the 5/6 betting but I can't really bring myself to do it continuously.

What do you guys think?