View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Incident in Jena,La.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that in the USA it is alright to have "whites only" trees or any areas?

I don't know how it can be made any clearer than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not an official, or even unofficial school policy. This is simply the way the students chose to act. Whites would hang out under the tree, the black kids would be wherever they hang out.
If the white students choose not to spend time with the black students, or vice versa, that is there decision, it isn't government endorsed segregation. Another example of this, from the same incident; apparently when the students were called into an assembly, the white kids sat together, and the black kids sat together. You cannot force people to spend time together.

And before you go calling me a hick or a racist, I've lived in two places in my life; New York and Philadelphia. I have several friends that are black, and some 2+2 members could attest to that.

Edit: By the way, Jesse Jackson said he totally endorses Obama, and doesn't question his "blackness" on CNN this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taso, I agree with you most of the way, but tell my why the 3 White students who placed the nooses on the trees should not be kicked out of the school?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kicked out of school? maybe.... but free speech could be argued should any hate crime charges be brought against them. The 6 on 1 assault seems to be racially motivated,... I doubt hate crime convictions have much of a chance.... whites dont seem to clammor for hate crime charges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the emboldened portion is not true. Most of the US Constitution does not apply to students in public schools, especially the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments.

On a technical basis, all of those kids who have walked out of various schools across the country in protest of <u>insert hot topic here</u> could be charged with truancy, etc. Also, don't forget, they can search your bag, your person, your ride, whatever else, and in my state (GA) if you get caught with a 2" knife in your pocket, you're going to prison, and coming out 4-6 years later, called a felon.

FWIW, I certainly do believe they should be kicked out. If nothing else, the actions of these three led to an unsafe learning environment for the entire student population. For that alone they should be expelled. The principal attempted to expel these boys, but the school board overturned his decision, which is why I stated earlier that the mass protests should be aimed at calling for the resignation of the school board.