Thread: 3:10 To Yuma
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 3:10 To Yuma

[ QUOTE ]
Good post Rick. I agree somewhat that the ending is 'strange', and catches most off guard as it did me also. But this reminds me of the great movie The Sand Pebbles. Jake (Steve Mcqueen) gets shot at the end and dies. This displeased many reviewers and movie goers alike. I mean - What the hell happened? -Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

"The Sand Pebbles" was a great movie and holds up very well over time (I first saw it last year) even though (or perhaps because) it focuses on politics and blowback. I'm surprised people had problems with the ending but it may be that craving for happy endings by the public at large.

For me in the best movies the ending isn't too predicable and there is a possibility of a tragic outcome (but it's not required as in some types of "arty" movies; you simply don't know going into the theater). I can make exceptions for great movies like "Titanic" were we know the boat is going to sink.

When I hear somebody say "I didn't like that movie because it didn't have a happy ending" I know it's somebody I don't want as a movie date (or for much else for that matter).

~ Rick