View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: How much does someone make for being sponsored by a poker site?

You're kind of right, kind of not. Ivey stays quiet because he isn't interested in the celebrity angle. Interviewing him is like pulling teeth because he just doesn't want to be there. That said, despite his efforts, he's still amongst the five most recognizable players in the game, and amongst the poker community at large the most respected for his game (Chip Reese is the obvious alternative, but the poker world outside Vegas just doesn't know him all that well). If he wanted to, he'd be poker's biggest star.

"He could get a nine-figure deal (with Nike) right now if he wanted to commit to it." - This was said to me by an authority on such things during the 2006 series. I'd imagine the number has gone down with UIGEA.

On Hellmuth, he's probably better known than Daniel but brings some baggage with him. The 'brat' image isn't exactly what corporate america is looking for as representation goes. Aside from 2+2's love-to-hate relationship with him, Daniel's well liked, well respected and well-spoken. I'd bet good money that asked to choose between Phil and Daniel, non-poker companies would take Daniel in a second.

Actually, 'who is poker's most marketable player' might make for a good article.