View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Accounting interviews

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely recommend going the public route. You will get a wide breadth of experience, even if you are only there for two years. The best part is, if you dont like a client you are on or a senior/manager that you are working for, you typically move on to another client after a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an accounting grad and I've worked in advisory services for a Big 4 firm and have just hit the 2 year mark. I can second WLVRYN's comments about the breadth of experience you receive from encountering new problems/solutions at many different companies - you will not get this experience working in industry. While demanding at times I haven't found it out of line with what my friend's tell me their entry level positions are like in other fields of work.

Blunty - you will probably not be able to make it past the screening process for the Big 4 with your GPA. Your best bet would be to look at some of the smaller public accounting firms.

McLaughin - All of the Big 4 firms are probably going to be pretty similar so you kind of just have to go with what feels right. I would not let your interviewer know that you are unsure if you want to work for the big 4 or in public accounting - even hinting at the fact that you are having doubts will probably eliminate you from contention for the job.