View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Do you think bots are cheating?

[ QUOTE ]
jt,

If I'm a speed-freek who stays up for a week at a time playing online poker, does that make it unfair for the pro who can't play as much because they have a wife and kids who want to see daddy?

I think not. I've never been a guy who could play lots of tables or tons of hours, but I don't get jealous of those who can, nor do I see it as some sort of problem. It's just the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a flawed argument. If you take 2 identical players (wife and kids who want to see daddy and all) and one plays 30 hrs a week, the other plays 30 hrs a week, then when he's tired turns on his bot which makes him $20/hr while he's sleeping/playing with his kids - how is this not cheating? He has the same talents / restrictions as the first player, but is pulling a couple $k extra a week out of the games without lifting a finger.

If the counterargument is "well then the first guy should do it too" we have acknowledged that bot'ing provides an advantage.

If you are asking whether the advantage a bot provides is "right" or "wrong" I do not have an answer for you - personally I think it is unfair to the opposing players, and it is both bad for the games and a subversion of what poker is meant to be, a psychological and intellectual competition between humans.

Surf