View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: (Crosspost) Vote for new software!

[ QUOTE ]
I made a post earlier ( here ) about a software I thought would help us limit players tremendously in analyzing and improving our game. I e-mailed Poker Academy and they said they may write it IF they thought enough people would buy it. To convince them of that vote here )

Ty

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to post this here instead of in the high stakes forum because this is an idea I've tossed around here from time to time over the years.

What you are proposing a number of steps beyond what currently exists. However, I think there's a reasonable "next generation" pokerstove program that I don't think is beyond the current technology.

Pokerstove as a hot-cold analyzer. We give it an initial setup of hole card ranges, dead cards, board cards, or whatever, and then we ask it to deal out the rest of the hands several billion times.

I would really like to see a "next street" analyzer.

The computer would deal out a flop, then compute the equity for each player GIVEN THAT FLOP. Then it would deal another flop and repeat. Given enough flops, the average equity for the individual flops should converge to the hot-cold preflop equity that pokerstove would compute.

HOWEVER, knowing the distribution of equity values would give one a better sense of the postflop value of the preflop hands. As a simplified example, consider the following two cases:

Case 1: You have 50% equity preflop, but half the time your postflop equity is 60% and half the time your postflop equity is 40%. This would be a relatively dicey situation to be in because when you're ahead, you're not ahead by much and when you're behind, you're in a position of essentially being forced to chase the equity.

Case 2: You have 50% equity preflop, but 2/3 of the time your postflop equity is 70% and 1/3 of the time your postflop equity is 10%. This would be an excellent hand to play because when you hit, you hit pretty well and when you miss, you completely miss and it's easy to get away.

The point of such a system would be to analyze the frequency of "good flops" and "bad flops" against the opposing hand ranges. Since most of the value of a hand is developed in postflop play, preflop equity numbers have been treated as a very rough measure of the value of a hand. However, this system would better indicate the postflop elements of play and give a better indication of whether a hand is worth playing.