View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Do you think bots are cheating?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is a bit of a fine line/slippery slope here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no, It's really clear as day. Using a bot is against the rules of a poker site. It is cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you're saying and have not read the T&C of any online poker sites in awhile, because I haven't played online in quite some time (other reasons).

My question is how far does it go, Joe? I know of people who have written software to do all statistical analysis to make decisions for them. I'm sure this software allows them to beat medium stakes games, at the very least. Even though I'm pushing the buttons, I'm not really playing. However, I did program it and set out the strategies with my poker knowledge in this case. I also acquired the data to be used in making these decisions. However, playing becomes much easier and I could play a bazillion tables at once, especially if I programed some GUI interface that would move the mouse over the correct button to push.

How about software that folds 72 everytime? I think this exists and it got banned. However, are these guys really cheats? Hardly.

How about people who buy huge databases of hands from people or who pool theirs with others? One might argue that this is worse than my bot supposition because in this case, I didn't even acquire all the information myself that I use to help me play.

Suppose the bots were identified to the players, like I think some online backgammon programs do. Would this make you happy?

I could go on and on with this, but I think my point is clear. People didn't have much of an issue with bots when they sucked. I think the issue is they are better than many players and the games are getting too tough now. This is a different issue from the bots themselves.

FWIW, I never did make a bot, but that's because I'm lazy and don't program computers, not because I have ethical quarrels with them.