View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Jeff Hwang PLO Book

Grind axes much Guap?

A few of us know Jeff from another forum. I can't tell you anything about the quality of the upcoming book other than that it's gotten a nice endorsement from Lou Krieger. I know his original intention in writing the book was to demystefy Omaha for the Hold Em player. From what I have seen out of the book it has probably exceeded that goal and is more of a broad-strategy PL Omaha book.

Jeff is a full time semi-pro who also gets work in stock and industry analysis. As you can tell from his site he has a particular interest in the gaming industry. I only mention this to paint a picture of the man. He has tirelessly applied his analysis skills to poker and specifically Omaha, and as I understand things travels quite a bit and has played in just about all of the decent live games in the midwest and south. I predict the book will cover a good bit of material that has not yet found its way to print.

If this sounds like a ringing endorsement, it isn't. I really don't know but I did want to provide a counterbalance to BvlyHils. BvlyHls is correct on several points. Jeff has fought for philosophies - some since abandoned - which indicate a very poor understanding of basic math and strategy. Furthermore he does have an aggressive personality and tends to hold people who don't play "his" games with a lot of disdain. His attitude has been that on-line poker is inferior to live, which from a skills and strategy perspective flies in the face of conventional wisdom. Furthermore he has only played Omaha regularly for a couple of years, and his total lifetime hand count is certainly inferior to most regular on-line players. His book will reflect regurgitated writings of others and his private situational analysis much more than it will reflect his personal experience with the game.

I haven't read the book, and even if I did I certainly do not have enough exposure to Omaha to either endorse it or to otherwise. I suspect it will be worth reading, if nothing other than to sharpen your critical skills on Omaha. I suspect there will be at least a few debatable points in the book.