View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Pocket Jacks shrivel up

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yup, it's bread and butter at 5/10 and instant death at 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

So against an unknown you say its a straight call down in 10/20 and a raise for a showdown in 5/10. Can you explain briefly why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he means is that you can better trust that a typical 5/10 player has you beat if you raise the turn and he 3-bets you but a 10/20 player is more prone to 3-betting with a semi-bluff. It is my personal opinion that free showdwon raises heads up in both of these games is usually a bad idea. As problematic as getting 3-bet is getting called and then donked into on the river and I assure you that happens alot. Maybe that doesnt sound like a problem because you will usually be beat when he does either of those anyway. But you pay a price. By free showdown raising heads up is you deprive your opponent of the opportunity to fire again on the river with a worse hand (often with nothing). You also forfeit your outs when he 3-bets the turn and, even though he does usually have you beat when he does it, you open yourself up to a costly mistake when he occasionally 3-bets the turn or donks the river with a worse hand.

The usefulness of this play in my opinion is predicated on there being some chance of your opponent folding a better hand immediately on the turn. When you have a pair or Ace high, that is very nearly never going to happen because the typical opponent simply refuses to fold a pair under any circumstance and doesn't like to do it with Ace high either.

Cartman