View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 04:36 AM

Default Re: LHE Rivalries... WTF?

[ QUOTE ]
everyone that plays limit holdem against each other thinks that the person they are playing sucks. That is due to the fact that making good plays at limit holdem often turns out to you making yourself look stupid.. i think at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just want to say that I mostly disagree with this and think its a fallacy. A lot of people are successful at mid to high stakes limit hold'em despite their leaks, whether it comes from FPS, tilt, a lack of understanding of poker theory or their opponents, or just general spew-rific-ness.

The few times I have played high stakes limit hold'em with some truly great players (Schneids and Nikla are two that come to mind from back on Empire) I was struck by how (for lack of a better word) different they seemed to play then the standard TAGs. They never made these type of overt mistakes, never stepped unnecessarily out of line, never made ridiculous payoffs with no context, or ridiculous multi barrel bluffs with no hope of success. In addition to all that (scary enough) they seemed to get the tough decisions right a higher percentage of the time then a typical opponent - if I semibluff raised the turn and bluffed the river I'd find myself called by a marginal hand, if I semi-bluff raised the turn and spiked my draw and value bet the river I would rarely get the payoff, these type of things.

When I play with a great player rather than a merely good one I think I notice a distinct difference. The guys you mention from Full Tilt aren't people I'd want in the game, its not like they are just going to give money away and they are certainly tough winning players, but there is a level above them if they were "playing like idiots" at any point.

-DeathDonkey