View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Best time of day to lift

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

I was reading through the Starting Strength FAQ and noticed this statement:

[ QUOTE ]
Question - Should I work out in the morning, in the afternoon or the evening?

This is going to vary from person to person. There is a bit of evidence that suggests weight training is ideal in the later morning/early afternoon timeframe, especially for adults in their 30s or older, but I would worry less about this and more about what works better for you. Some people train best on a stomach without much food, others train best with several meals in their bellies. You need to find out what works in with your time schedule and your meal planning best.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question in regard to this is if anyone knows of or can refer me to the material that shows some advantage to a later in the day advantage for the over 30 crowd (I'm 31). Obviously its not a huge factor but I currently work out in the early AM on my way into work, but I can easily shift to mid day.

Thanks,
VR

[/ QUOTE ]

The best time is always going to be whatever time will get in the gym with the most consistency. What the study is talking about is peak performance, for example I am much stronger after I have been up 8 hours or so. If I lift in the morning I am pretty weak, at night I'm at my strongest. Some people its the total opposite, but if performance ins't your primary goal consistency is thus whatever time is most conveniant that is your time.