View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 AM

Default ot: training a total novice

this forums sorta my home and i respect the posters here so i thought id post this here

my friend works a crappy job that doesnt pay much. hes smart, has some gamble in him and plays euchre optimally. so i told him i'd teach him how to play poker. im pretty confident that hes not gonna go bankrupt from degenerate gambling or anything.

i think he knows enough about poker to know that like the small blind acts first postflop, but i would imagine he'd be an open limping fish if he played tomorrow.

i dont really wanna give him books bc i think even the best books basically teach players a rote strategy instead of the fundamentals that let u determine what the correct play is. i think thats pretty dangerous and hard to break free from. i mean the posters in the low limit forums are prob in the top 10% of all poker players but they have a very poor grasp of the game which makes them totally unequipped to tackle less broad poker problems.

so any ideas on how to train him? id figure id just play micro stakes with him and talk him through hands but its prob hard to talk poker with someone who doesnt have the same frames of reference as everyone else ive ever talked poker strategy with

limit or no limit? i think no limits better to teach in a vacuum, but i have virtually no experience playing it. i feel like i have a pretty deep understanding of no limit (fundamental poker skills are pretty transferable) but i have no clue how other people play which is pretty important

anyone think this is a terrible idea?

theres more but i'll just leave the post at that for now

holla